Southern Living's Cornbread Dressing
This cornbread recipe is perfect for making the night before any big holiday gathering, so that you can take time to focus on other recipes. This cornbread dressing recipe is the perfect Southern accompaniment to any big family meal, especially when gathering loved ones during the holiday months. This recipe pairs well with any holiday main course like turkey and gravy, baked ham, pork roast, or a rack of lamb.
- 1 cup butter or margarine, divided
- 3 cups white cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 large eggs, divided
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 2 medium onions, diced, about 2 cups
- 1 large bunch celery, diced, about 3 cups
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh sage or 1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
- 6 (10 1/2-ounce) cans condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 1 tablespoon pepper
Preparation time 75mins
Cooking time 600mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Place 1/2 cup butter in a 13x9-inch pan; heat in oven at 425°F for 4 minutes.
Combine cornmeal, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda; whisk in 3 eggs and buttermilk. Pour hot butter into batter, stirring until blended. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 425°F for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for about 30 minutes at room temperature or until easy to handle.
Crumble cornbread into a large bowl; stir in breadcrumbs and set aside. Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat; add onions and celery, and sauté until tender. Stir in sage and sauté for 1 more minute.
Stir vegetables, remaining 4 eggs, chicken broth, and pepper into cornbread mixture; pour evenly into 1 lightly greased 13x9-inch baking dish and 1 lightly greased 8x8-inch square baking dish. Cover and chill 8 hours.
Bake uncovered at 375°F for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE, APPLE, & PECAN DRESSING:
Brown 3/4 pound diced andouille sausage in a skillet over medium heat; drain. Add sausage; 2 Granny Smith apples, chopped; and 2 cups chopped toasted pecans to dressing. Proceed as directed, baking 40 to 45 minutes or until done
You'll also love
- Oreo Dirt Cake 4/5 (278 Votes)
- K's Slow Cooker Chicken & Spinach... 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Raw Zucchini Pasta with Creamy... 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Bourbon Chocolate Mousse 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Royal BiBingka 4.2/5 (26 Votes)
- Creamy Parmesan Garlic Mushroom... 4.1/5 (20 Votes)
- Perfect Sugar Cookie Cut-outs 4.1/5 (19 Votes)
- Greek Stuffed Prosciutto & Fig Jam... 4.1/5 (20 Votes)