Bourbon Chocolate Mousse
Got rave reviews! Don't skip out on the whip cream-it needs a little sweetness to balance out the bitter chocolate. But those that love 'not sweet' deserts, go for it!
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- Pinch table salt
- The egg whites in this recipe are not cooked, but using pasteurized egg whites is not recommended, because they tend to separate after they're folded into the ganache.
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from finecooking.com
Put 4 small (at least 3/4 cup) individual serving bowls in the refrigerator.
Bring the heavy cream and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan and remove the pan from the heat (don’t just turn off the burner). Stir in the bourbon and vanilla. Add the chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes without stirring. Whisk the chocolate and cream until smooth and then transfer the ganache to a large bowl. Don’t refrigerate.
In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites and the salt with a hand mixer on high speed just until they form stiff peaks when you lift the beaters.
With a rubber spatula, fold about one-quarter of the beaten whites into the ganache to lighten it. Then gently fold in the remaining whites, taking care not to deflate them. Divide the mousse among the chilled bowls and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes but preferably 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
Top the mousse with a dollop of whipped cream or crème fraîche and sprinkle with cocoa powder, if desired. Garnish with fresh raspberries or strawberries.
You'll also love
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (673 Votes)
- Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes 4.5/5 (398 Votes)
- Christmas Pecan Balls 4.6/5 (311 Votes)
- Chocolate Mousse Pie with Phyllo... 4.8/5 (14 Votes)
- Creamy Fruit Mousse 4.5/5 (35 Votes)
- Pumpkin Mousse 4.7/5 (18 Votes)