Mashed Acorn Squash with Apples
This fresh, flavorful fall recipe will bring a new flavor profile to your Thanksgiving table. Plus, it can be made in the NuWave so you needn't crowd the oven.
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 stick butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 large acorn squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
- Oil, for brushing squash
- Salt and pepper
Adapted from qvc.com
Place the apple halves in a bowl and toss together with the brown sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Place the coated-apple halves cored-side-up and any of the leftover brown sugar mixture onto the silicone baking pan. Top each apple half with a piece of butter. Place it in the bottom of the NuWave oven.
Brush the flesh of the squash with oil and season with salt and pepper. Using the extender ring of the NuWave, place the squash, flesh side down, on the 4-inch rack and place it in the oven. Bake on high for 30 minutes. Turn the squash and apples over and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
Using a pot holder to hold the squash, remove the flesh with a large spoon and place it into the bowl of a food processor. Puree until smooth. Add the apples and the cooking liquid and pulse until the apples are in small pieces. Serve.
David Tip: Save the seeds from the acorn squash. Pull them from the pulp, rinse, and pat dry. Toss the seeds with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast in the baking pan of the NuWave oven on high for 10 minutes. They make a delicious snack.
You'll also love
- Cherry Pie Cookies 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Uneven Biscuits(Recipe: Sweet... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Country Pork Ribs with Apples and... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Focaccia with fresh tomato,... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Apple-Pecan French Toast 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Bourbon Brined Pumpkin Molasses... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Rockin' Salsa 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Cheddar Bay Almond Flour Biscuits 4.4/5 (22 Votes)