Focaccia with fresh tomato, zucchini & Kalamata olives
- Focaccia Dough:
- 1 package active yeast
- 1 1/4 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1/2 cups Grano del Miracolo soft wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing bowl and pan
- For Tomato, Zucchini & Kalamata Olive Topping:
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 zucchini, peeled
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 6-8 Kalamata olives, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- Coarse sea salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Olive Oil for drizzling
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from livingthegourmet.com
Preheat oven to the lowest setting. Mine is 170 degrees F.
Oil a large oven proof bowl and let it warm up in the oven. Once the oven reaches the desired temperature, turn off and remove bowl.
In small bowl or a large cup, proof your yeast. Combine 1 package of yeast, warm water and 1 teaspoon sugar. Let sit for 10 minutes until the yeast bubbles and gets foamy.
In a medium bowl, whisk together Grano del Miracolo soft wheat flour and salt. Make a small well in the center and add 2 tablespoons olive oil, then add the yeast.
Mix the batter until the dough comes together and is slightly sticky. If you need more flour, add another ¼ cup of Grano del Miracolo soft wheat flour just until the dough can be easily transferred to the bowl.
Once the dough is formed, transfer it to the warm, oiled bowl. Turn the dough over to ensure the dough is completely oiled. Cover with plastic wrap and then a towel. Place in the warm oven and let rise. This process should take about 2 hours.
Once the dough has risen, punch it down, then transfer to an oiled jelly roll pan and press it to fit the pan. Cover with plastic wrap and place back into the oven for about 30 minutes to rise again. Once the dough has risen top with the desired toppings listed above and bake for about 25-30 minutes, or until nice and golden.
You'll also love
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Pears with... 4.1/5 (9 Votes)
- Russian Salad with Isabel Tuna 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Avocado Shrimp and Tuna Salad 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Beetroot & Red Pepper Soup 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Eggs Simmered in Tomato Sauce 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Roasted Red Bell Peppers and... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Bourbon Brined Pumpkin Molasses... 4.7/5 (7 Votes)
- Winter Squash Soup with Gruyère... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)