Zuppa Toscana: Italian Potato Sausage Soup
Lovely recipe for traditional Zuppa Toscana, an Italian potato and sausage soup. You can substitute Italian sausage that is browned for the breakfast sausage.
- 1 (16-ounce) package breakfast sausage
- 3/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 3 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and quartered, then sliced thin
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon base
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 3 to 6 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese for topping
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 175mins
Sauté sausage in a large pan over medium heat until browned. Transfer sausage to a separate bowl, reserving any grease in the pan.
Add in the onion, garlic and potatoes to the pan with sausage grease and cook over medium-high heat for 5 to 8 minutes, until onions are soft and translucent
Add water and chicken base. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often. After soup comes to a boil, cook for another 10-15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
Add in kale, bacon crumbles and cream. Continue cooking over medium heat until kale has softened, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Reduce heat to simmer and cook an additional 10 to 15 minutes. Garnish with Parmesan cheese to serve.
You'll also love
- BREAKFAST - Disney’s Kona Cafe... 4.7/5 (24 Votes)
- Classic Old Fashioned Macaroni... 4.7/5 (24 Votes)
- South Carolina Peach Cobbler 4.4/5 (34 Votes)
- Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad 4.7/5 (24 Votes)
- Spicy Asparagus-Tempeh Stir-Fry 4.7/5 (24 Votes)
- Smashed Potatoes 4.7/5 (24 Votes)
- Turkey Pot Pie (or Chicken) 4.7/5 (24 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Sausage Breakfast... 4.4/5 (46 Votes)