Baked Potato Soup
A nice and creamy take on Baked Potato Soup without using Heavy Cream. I topped it with Croutons and it was great.
- 10 slices cooked bacon, diced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese or blend, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: chives, extra shredded cheddar cheese, croutons and bacon
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 300mins
Adapted from theslowroasteditalian.com
Add potatoes, onion, garlic, bacon, parsley and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 6-8 hours on low or on high for 3 to 4 hours, until the potatoes are fork tender.
Once cooked, add butter to a medium saucepan over medium heat and melt. Whisk in the flour until completely combined and gradually add in the evaporated milk. Whisk the flour mixture until smooth. With the heat on the lowest stove setting, let the mixture cook until it starts to simmer and is getting thicker. Make sure to stir occasionally.
Once it's bubbly, add the milk-flour mixture to the slow cooker and stir to combine.
Using a potato masher, mash about 1/2 to 3/4 of the potatoes.
Stir in the shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. Stir well, until fully combined and creamy. Add more salt and pepper to taste (needed a lot of salt in my opinion). Continue cooking the soup on low for 30 minutes or on high for 15 minutes.
Serve in bowls with some cheese and chives on top.
Optional toppings (more cheese, bacon, croutons)