Loaded Baked Potato Soup
My husband marveled how this soup tasted just like a baked potato. It's thick and hearty, perfect on a chilly fall or winter night. Garnish with extra toppings.
- 6 slices bacon, divided
- 5 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small clove garlic, finely minced
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, or more, as needed
- 1 cup chicken broth (no salt added preferred)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Additional green onion, cheese and bacon for garnish (Optional)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
Evenly lay the bacon on a 2 to 3 ply paper toweled lined plate. Cover with a paper towel and microwave until cooked and crispy, about 6 minutes. (You can also do this in a skillet, and remove and blot the bacon on paper towels.)
Coarsely cut the bacon. Finely chop 2-3 tablespoons for garnish. Set aside.
If using a pressure cooker, place the prepared potatoes in a steamer basket, on top of a trivet, with 2 cups of water. Pressure cook on high for 5 minutes, do a quick release and remove the lid. If you are not using a pressure cooker, you will add potatoes to the soup in a later step.
Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and stir for about 30 seconds. Add green onion.
Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and chicken broth and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in pressure cooked potatoes.
If you did not use a pressure cooker for the potatoes, add them in at this time and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Stir in cheese, sour cream, chopped bacon, salt and pepper, to taste.
If the soup is too thick, add more milk as needed until desired consistency is reached.
Serve immediately, garnished with sliced green onion, shredded cheese and minced bacon, if desired.
You'll also love
- Bob Marley Frozen Drink 4.2/5 (77 Votes)
- No-Bake Banana Split Cake 4.3/5 (54 Votes)
- Old-Fashioned Irish Oatmeal Cake 4.3/5 (60 Votes)
- Baked Potato Grilled Cheese 4.6/5 (34 Votes)
- Loaded Baked Potato & Chicken... 4.4/5 (46 Votes)
- Blue Bayou Potatoes -Disneyland... 4.1/5 (71 Votes)
- Johnny Jalapeno's Chicken Tortilla... 4.6/5 (34 Votes)
- Italian Wedding Soup 4.4/5 (43 Votes)