Old-Fashioned Irish Oatmeal Cake
This old-fashioned Irish oatmeal cake is easy-peasy and is sure to be a hit at your next celebratory event. This recipe is perfect when made with Quaker brand oatmeal and Baker brand flaked coconut, but you can use whatever brands you have on hand for this moist, flavorful cake.
- 1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons cream, optional
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from returntosundaysupper.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan.
In a small, bowl, combine the oatmeal with the boiling water and let it sit for 20 minutes.
In a medium bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar.
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and vanilla together.
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together until well blended.
Add the egg mixture to the oatmeal mixture and stir until combined. Then add the sugar/butter mixture to the egg/oatmeal mixture and stir until combined.
Add the egg/oatmeal mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined.
Pour into baking pan and bake about 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
While cake is baking make the icing. In a medium bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Add the walnuts, coconut, and vanilla. If you need to thin the icing a bit, add the cream 1 tablespoon at a time.
Immediately after you remove the cake from the oven, adjust your oven to "broil". Spread the icing on the hot cake and pop it under the broiler until it's a bit brown and the coconut is toasted.
If possible, serve warm.
You'll also love
- White Russian Pudding Shots 4.6/5 (30 Votes)
- Banana Bread Brownies 4.3/5 (62 Votes)
- Apple Fritter Bread 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Sesame Quinoa Spring Rolls 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- No Bake Coconut Balls 4.4/5 (44 Votes)
- Maple-Bourbon Smash 4.9/5 (10 Votes)
- Thai Coconut Curry Chicken with... 4.9/5 (9 Votes)
- The Best Louisiana Crunch Cake Ever 4.1/5 (95 Votes)