Pineapple Crunch Cake
So good! Pineapple cake with a crunchy brown sugar-nut topping and if that wasn't enough, everything is drizzled with a warm caramel sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups canned pineapple tidbits, thoroughly drained
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter cut into small pcs
- CRUNCH TOPPING:
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup macadamia nuts or pecans, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- WARM CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Place drained pineapple on a plate and pat the pineapple pieces dry and set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Mix on low for one minute. Add the butter pieces and continue to mix on low until the mixture resembles sand.
In a small bowl whisk together the eggs , sour cream and vanilla.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and mix on low until the ingredients are just combined.
Increase speed to medium high and mix for 1-1/2 minutes or until smooth. Fold the pineapple into the batter.
Spoon the batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth batter with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle crunch topping over all.
Bake the cake for 50 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. After 30 minutes of baking, cover the top of cake loosely with a piece of aluminum foil to help prevent the top of the cake from browning too much. Serve topped with warm caramel sauce.
The Crunch topping:
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and gently mix the butter into the dry ingredients
Warm Caramel Sauce:
In a medium size, heavy-bottom saucepan, combine the heavy cream, butter, brown sugar, salt and water. Place pan over medium heat and continue to stir until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil.
Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Continue to stir vigorously until the sauce is smooth.
Serve sauce warm. To store sauce allow it to cool completely and store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
You'll also love
- Beer Cheese for Soft Pretzels 4.6/5 (27 Votes)
- Parmesan Crusted Roasted Asparagus 4.6/5 (27 Votes)
- Best Peanut Brittle 4.6/5 (27 Votes)
- Orange Cranberry Scones 4.2/5 (58 Votes)
- Pumpkin Cream Cheese Dump Cake 4.1/5 (74 Votes)
- Pineapple Upside Down Bundt Cake 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Pineapple Carrot Coconut Cake 4.5/5 (31 Votes)