Creamy Cajun Chicken Pasta Soup
- 6 ounces mini Farfalle pasta (or Rigatoni)
- Olive oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 2-3 teaspoons Cajun seasoning (3 for more spicy)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 32 oz. carton Swanson® Louisiana Cajun Flavor Infused Broth
- 1 14.5 oz. can Swanson® Chicken Broth
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream mixed with 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 1 10 oz. can tomatoes with green chilies, drained
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lime juice plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh basil cut into thin strips
- chopped bacon for garnish (optional)
Adapted from carlsbadcravings.com
In a large bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon olive oil and Cajun Spices. Add chicken and coat. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (time permitting) as you prep the other ingredients.
After 30 minutes, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook, undisturbed for 2-4 minutes, or until nicely browned on one side. Turn chicken over, add ½ cup Cajun Broth, cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for approximately 6-8 more minutes (depending on thickness of chicken), or until chicken is cooked through. Remove to a cutting board and let rest 5-10 minutes before dicing into bite size pieces.
Meanwhile, cook pasta al dente in generously salted water. Rinse and set aside.
Melt butter in large stockpot over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions and cook until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add bell peppers and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Sprinkle in flour and cook, stirring constantly for 3 minutes.
Gradually stir in remaining Cajun Broth and heavy cream. Bring soup to boil, then reduce to a simmer, stirring frequently until thickened to desired consistency, approximately 3-5 minutes.
Return chopped chicken to the pot along with peas, tomatoes, and cooked pasta. Simmer until heated through then stir in Parmesan until melted followed by lime juice and basil.*
Taste and add additional salt, pepper cayenne/hot sauce to taste.
Garnish individual bowls with fresh lime juice and bacon (optional).
*For a less "chunky" soup, simply add more chicken broth and/or heavy cream.
You'll also love
- Citrus Chicken Thighs with Mustard... 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Italian Milk-Braised Pork Roast... 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Chicken and Brown Rice Sloppy Joes 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Creamy Chicken Marsala Pasta 4.2/5 (39 Votes)
- Chicken & Gnocchi Soup (Copycat... 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken Lasagna Roll Ups 4.3/5 (30 Votes)
- Minestrone Soup 4.5/5 (31 Votes)
- TJ’s Chicken Tortilla Soup 4.3/5 (47 Votes)