Lemon & Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes with Lemon Curd
These pancakes are moist and tender, and we particularly love them with homemade lemon curd. If you've never made lemon curd, this recipe is super easy to make. The batter takes abut 15 minutes to prepare, as does the curd. That's what I call fast food breakfast! You can leave out the lemon and berries, and serve these plain with maple syrup. If you've never tried ricotta pancakes, I'm confident you'll make them more than once. We do!
- For the pancakes:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced (see my note in directions)
- Butter, for griddle
- Lemon Curd (or one (11-ounce jar prepared lemon curd
- 1 cup fresh (or frozen, unthawed) blueberries or raspberries
- For the lemon curd:
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbs grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat a nonstick griddle.
Combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, salt, and sugar in a small bowl.
Whisk together the cheese, eggs, buttermilk, lemon juice and zest in a large bowl.
Whisk the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until just combined.
Brush the hot griddle with butter.
For each pancake, pour approximately 1/4 cup measure of the batter on the griddle, and add berries to each pancake. Flip, when bubbles start to show and cook until light golden brown.
Repeat until no batter remains. Garnish with powdered sugar, if desired.
For the lemon curd:
In a 2 quart saucepan, combine lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar, eggs, and butter.
Cook over medium-low heat until thick enough to hold marks from whisk, and first bubble appears on surface, about 6 minutes.
Remove from heat.
The curd can be stored in the refrigerator, in a tight-fitting jar, for up to one week.
For those of you who don't make my lemon curd recipe:
Empty the contents of the lemon curd into a small saucepan and warm over low heat. Alternatively, remove the lid and place in a microwave oven on 50 percent power for 2 minutes, stopping after 1 minute to stir the curd.
Drizzle a few tablespoons of the curd over the pancakes.
NOTE: I add a thin layer of lemon curd between my pancakes.
You'll also love
- Vegan: Pad Thai-style Noodles with... 4.8/5 (21 Votes)
- Mario Batali's Red Wine-Braised... 4.5/5 (45 Votes)
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Mac and Cheese 4/5 (91 Votes)
- Cowboy Meatloaf and Potato... 4.1/5 (77 Votes)
- Banana Pudding Cake 4.4/5 (56 Votes)
- Strawberry Avocado Kale Salad with... 4.6/5 (32 Votes)
- Strawberry Shortcake In A Jar 4.4/5 (52 Votes)
- Nutty Blueberry Crumble 4.7/5 (26 Votes)