ITALIAN LEMON KNOT COOKIES
These cookies have so many different names, but I only know them as “Lemon Knots”. They are also known as Italian Lemon Cookies, Italian Bow Knots, Anginetti, and Taralucci.
Along with the many different names are the many variations of making them, but the end result is a soft, slightly crumbly, moist cookie, with the distinctive flavor of pure lemon throughout. They are definitely an Italian tradition!!
- 5 cups unbleached flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 bottle of pure lemon extract or,( 1 oz.)
- Grated lemon rind
- 5 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 Cup of sugar
- 1 3/4 cup of shortening
- You can add nonpareils or not, it’s up to you, but the frosting is made with pure lemon juice, a little grated lemon peel, and powdered sugar.
Adapted from prouditaliancook.com
Mix together flour, eggs, milk, lemon extract and rind, sugar, and baking powder, in large bowl. Add shortening till it forms a dough. You might need to add some more milk or more flour to get the right consistency, but after doing so, take golf ball size pieces and shape them into balls or roll them like a log and tie them in a bow, or make a horseshoe shape and twist them over like I did. Bake at 350 degrees for exactly 15 minutes.
When they cool dip them in the icing and place them on wax paper untill they set.
You'll also love
- Diabetic Fresh Peach Juice Recipe 4.5/5 (35 Votes)
- Citrus Gin Spritzer 4.5/5 (31 Votes)
- Lemon Cream Pie 4.5/5 (32 Votes)
Review this recipe