Baked Penne with Sausage, Zucchini, and Fontina
Delicious one dish meal; Can be assembled up to one day ahead of time. Tried and true lifted from a community hospital cookbook!
- 3 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound HOT Italian sausage, casings
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 pound fontina cheese,grated
- 1/2 lb penne pasta
Preheat oven to 375. Grease a 2 1/2 to 3 quart deep casserole. Cut each zucchini half in thirds lengthwise, then crosswise into 1 1/2 inch long pieces.
Heat oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook until no longer pink, breaking up with a fork. Transfer to bowl using slotted spoon. Add onion and red pepper to skillet and cook until beginning to soften, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini. Season with salt and pepper and saute until almost tender about 8 minutes. Return sausage to skillet. Add cream and oregano and bring to a boil. Add half of fontina cheese and stie until just melted.
Meanwhile, cook penne in a large pot of boiling salted water, stir occasionally, until just tender but still firm to the bite. Drain well; return to pot. Add your sauce mixture and stir to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning to your taste. Transfer to prepared caserole. Top with remaining cheese. (Can be prepared through here up to one day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temp before continuing.) Bake until heated thrugh, about 15 minutes. Serve hot. Can be doubled.
You'll also love
- Oven-Roasted Sea Bass with... 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- Lemon Pineapple Cake Mix Cookies... 4.2/5 (41 Votes)
- Foolproof Boiled Corn 4/5 (44 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew 4.5/5 (20 Votes)
- Beef Stroganoff in an Instant Pot 4.1/5 (24 Votes)
- Zucchini Lasagna Rolls 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- Creamy Asiago Chicken and Mushroom... 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Parmesan Lemon Zucchini 4.4/5 (17 Votes)