This is true comfort food, that is simple enough to make on a work night. You can easily substitute Greek Yogurt instead of sour cream.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 12 ounces white button mushrooms, wiped clean and halved
- Table salt and ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound beef tenderloin (about 2 fillets), cut into 1/2-inch long, 1/8-inch wide strips
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, minced (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces egg noodles, cooked in salted water, drained, and tossed wih 2 tablespoons butter
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy-bottomed 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering, but not smoking, about 2 minutes; swirl to coat pan.
Add mushrooms and cook over high heat without stirring for 30 seconds; season with salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 4 minutes longer. Transfer to medium bowl.
Return skillet to high heat, add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat pan.
Place tenderloin strips in skillet. Using tongs, spread the meat into single layer, making sure that strips do not touch, and cook without turning until well-browned on first side, 2 minutes.
Turn strips and cook on second side until well-browned, about 1 minute longer. Season with salt and pepper to taste and transfer to bowl with mushrooms.
Add beef broth to skillet, scraping up browned bits on pan bottom with wooden spoon; simmer until broth is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Transfer broth to bowl with mushrooms and beef, scraping skillet clean with rubber spatula.
Return skillet to medium-low heat and add butter; when butter foams, add onion, tomato paste, and brown sugar. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is lightly browned and softened, about 6 minutes; stir in flour until incorporated.
Gradually whisk in chicken broth and wine; increase heat to medium-high and bring to boil, whisking occasionally, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until thickened, about 2 minutes.
Whisk liquid from mushrooms and beef into sauce and simmer to incorporate.
Stir about 1/2 cup of hot sauce into sour cream, then stir mixture back into sauce.
Add mushrooms and beef; heat to warm through, about 1 minute. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper and serve over buttered egg noodles.
You'll also love
- Apple Butter Pecan Dump Cake 4/5 (85 Votes)
- Shortcut Shrimp Paella 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- White Chocolate Blueberry... 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Candy Cane Cheese Danish 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Bacon Mac & Cheese Pizza 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Baked Pecan Crusted Chicken Fingers 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Smoky Pork Burgers with Grilled... 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Mushroom & Swiss Burgers 4.8/5 (12 Votes)