Mushroom-Swiss Mac & Cheese
Mac & and cheese is already a favorite, but adding Swiss cheese and sautéed mushrooms will set yours apart!
- 1 (16-ounce) package mini penne pasta
- 1/2 pound baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, cubed
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 1/2 cups (10 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/3 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted,
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté mushrooms and onion in butter and oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Set aside.
For sauce, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add milk and cream; heat through. Stir in the cheeses, salt and pepper until blended. Stir in bacon.
Drain pasta; toss with mushroom mixture and sauce. Transfer to a greased 13-inch x 9-inch baking dish.
Combine the breadcrumbs, parsley and melted butter; sprinkle over mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375°F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.