Chocolate Coconut Pound Cake
The fragrant richness of coconut oil and the tenderizing power of buttermilk make this the ultimate chocolate pound cake.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Preheat oven to 325 degrees fahrenheit.
Butter an 8"x4” loaf pan; line with parchment paper, leaving a generous overhang on long sides. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder in a medium bowl; set aside.
Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat oil, ¼ cup butter, and 1½ cups sugar until pale and fluffy, 5–7 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend between additions; beat until mixture is very light and doubled in volume, 5–8 minutes. Add vanilla.
Reduce mixer speed to low and add dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk in 2 additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients (do not over mix; it will cause cake to buckle and split). Scrape batter into prepared pan and run a spatula through the center, creating a canal. Sprinkle with coconut and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.
Bake cake, tenting with foil if coconut browns too much before cake is done (it should be very dark and toasted), until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 70–80 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack; let cake cool in pan 20 minutes before turning out.
DO AHEAD: Cake can be baked 5 days ahead. Keep tightly wrapped at room temperature.
You'll also love
- Baked Boneless Skinless Chicken... 3.8/5 (359 Votes)
- Snickerdoodles 4.4/5 (100 Votes)
- Cream Cheese Cool Whip Frosting 3.8/5 (735 Votes)
- Triple Chocolate Tres Leches Cake 4.5/5 (92 Votes)
- Coconut Cream Pie Bars 4.3/5 (106 Votes)
- Swiss Cheese Chicken & Stuffing 4.1/5 (146 Votes)
- Cookies and Cream Cake 4.1/5 (124 Votes)
- IMPOSSIBLE COCONUT CUSTARD PIE 4.3/5 (97 Votes)