Lasagna with Zucchini "Noodles"
Servings: 8 servings
Leave out the cheeses and make it strict paleo.
- 1 - 1 1/2 lbs of lean ground beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 28 oz can stewed diced tomatoes (drained)
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 T. dried oregano
- 1 T. dried basil
- salt and pepper
- 5 large zucchinis, sliced thin lengthwise
- 5 large heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 4 cups spinach
- 24 oz Ricotta cheese (for strict Paleo, leave out)
- 2 cups Walnut Asparagas Pesto (use 3 cups if you don't use ricotta) - see recipe in my Sauce cookbook
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese (for strict paleo, leave out)
In a large pan cook meat, onions, garlic and spices on medium high heat until meat is browned. Drain excess fat. Add stewed tomatoes, sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Layer ingredients in a large lasagna pan (zucchini, tomatoes, spinach, ricotta, pesto, sauce - repeat another time and add one more layer of zucchini then the last bit of sauce). Top with mozzarella if desired. Cover with foil and bake at 375 F for 1 hour. Remove foil and cook until cheese is melted and browned (about 15 more minutes. Remove from oven and let stand about 15 minutes before serving.