Cornish Game Hens with Pomegranate Molasses
This recipe comes from Anne Burrell's "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef". Cornish Game hens are really just adolescent chickens, but they do make a fancy presentation as they are small enough to fit one one dinner plate. I served these with my Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate Molasses recipe, and this was a very simple dinner that made a lovely presentation. Please visit my blog to see how I made this.
- 4 Cornish game hens, split, spine and wing tips removed
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 bottle (12 fluid ounces) pomegranate molasses*
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallion greens, cut thin on the bias, for garnish
- NOTE: You can easily make your own Pomegranate Molasses, which I did (it's on my blog)
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Tie each hen's legs together with butcher's twine or a blanched scallion green.
Coat a large saute pan with olive oil and bring to medium-high heat. Season the hens on both sides generously with salt. Carefully lay the hens in the pan, skin side down, and cook until the skin becomes brown and crispy, 6 to 7 minutes. Turn the hens over and brown on the flesh side. Do not crowd your pan, you may need to do this in batches. Remove the hens to a sheet tray.
Meanwhile, combine the molasses and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat.
Bring the molasses to a boil and reduce by half until syrupy, about 20 minutes. NOTE: Be careful, as the molasses can burn.
Brush the hens on both sides with the reduced molasses. Put the hens in the oven and roast until they are cooked through, basting occasionally, about 20 minutes.
Remove the hens from the oven and garnish with the sliced scallions
You'll also love
- Homemade Garlic Hummus 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Pumpkin Zucchini Bread 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Nutella swirled banana bread 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Cherry Heart Tarts 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Pulled Pork 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Mashed Potato Cakes with Onions... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Apple Cheese Danishes 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Caribbean Cornbread 4.5/5 (8 Votes)