Yellow Squash Muffins
I had to make these gluten free for my son. They turned out great! For the flour mixture I used 2 cups of brown rice flour, and 1 cup of tapioca starch. I also added a 1/4 tsp of all spice. Great breakfast muffin!
I found this recipe in a newspaper article many years ago. It's really delicious.The original recipe called for 1 cup melted butter. I use 1/2 cup butter & 1/2 cup applesauce.
- 2 lbs crookneck yellow squash
- 2 eggs
- 1 ⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1 ⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from food.com
1. Wash squash, trim ends, and cut into 1-inch slices.
2. Cook in a small amount of water for 15 to 20 minutes.
3. Drain well and mash.
4. Measure 2 cups of the cooked squash, combine with eggs, butter, and applesauce, and set aside.
5. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
6. Make a well in center of mixture.
7. Add squash to dry ingredients, stirring only until moist.
8. Spoon into greased muffin tins, filling 3/4 full.
9. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean.