Broccoli Cheddar Panini
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 8 slices sourdough or other rustic white bread, sliced from a dense bakery loaf
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar, sliced
- 3/4 cup cooked, chopped broccoli florets
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from paninihappy.com
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until they’re translucent and browned, about 10 minutes.
Heat the panini press to medium-high heat.
For each sandwich: Spread butter on two slices of bread to flavor the outside of the sandwich. Flip over one slice and top the other side with cheese, onions, broccoli and more cheese. Close the sandwich with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
Grill two panini at a time, with the lid closed, until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted, 4 to 6 minutes.