Cream of Cauliflower Soup
I adapted this Cream of Cauliflower Soup recipe from "Pioneer Woman Cooks". This is an excellent recipe, and even better with some fresh squeezed lemon juice. Very comforting.
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 to 2 heads cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh or dried parsley (or fresh thyme)
- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth or stock, preferably homemade
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half & half (I used equal parts 1% milk and half and half)
- 2 to 4 teaspoons salt, to taste (I also added 1/8 tsp of white pepper)
- 1 generous cup sour cream, at room temperature (I used light)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
In a large soup pot or dutch oven, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes, or until it starts to turn brown. Add the carrots and celery and cook an addition couple of minutes. Add cauliflower and parsley and stir to combine. Cover and cook over very low heat for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes, pour in chicken stock or broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and allow to simmer.
In a medium saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Mix the flour with the milk and whisk to combine. Add flour-milk mixture slowly to the butter, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup half & half.
Add mixture to the simmering soup. Allow to simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Check seasoning and add more salt or pepper if necessary. NOTE:**I used my immersion blender, since I prefer more of a puree.
Just before serving, place the sour cream in a serving bowl or soup tureen. Add two to three ladles of hot soup into the tureen and stir to combine with the sour cream. Pour in remaining soup and stir.
You'll also love
- Butternut Squash Bread 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Lemon Sauce for Pancakes 4.2/5 (33 Votes)
- Jamaican Carrot Cake 3.9/5 (98 Votes)
- Baked Cauliflower Mash 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Roasted cauliflower with parmesan 4.5/5 (21 Votes)
- Jacques Pepin's Beef Stew in Red... 3.9/5 (88 Votes)
- One-Pot Garden Chicken and Noodles 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Spiced Pumpkin Soup 4.3/5 (35 Votes)