Herbed Cashew Cheese Spread
Make your own 'cheese' spread from cashews for a dairy-free appetizer! The cashews make it hearty and dense, so a little goes a long way. Mix up the herbs and spices to try new blends.
- 2 cups cashews
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/4 teaspoon probiotic powder
- 1 tablespoon light miso
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts, chopped
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 615mins
Adapted from almostrawvegan.com
Mix probiotic powder with water and stir.
Add probiotic mixture to blender, add cashews. Blend at low speed and gradually increase speed and blend until smooth. Spoon mixture into a nut bag or cheesecloth. Squeeze and place in strainer and leave to ferment for up to 8 to 12 hours. Time required to ferment will differ depending on how warm it is. Do not ferment beyond 12 hours as it may become rancid.
Once fermentation process is complete, spoon cheese from nut bag into bowl. Add remaining ingredients, stir well together. Place in mini 4.5 inch spring form pan. Press well and leave in fridge for at least 6-8 hrs to mold to the spring form and so flavours are more enhanced. Turn upside down, release from pan and sprinkle with dried herbs.
Nut cheese is very dense with the nuts, so only use a little for portions.
Cashew cheese is also delicious used when making wraps, spread some cashew cheese spread over the wrap or lettuce leaf, add vegetables and sprouts, perhaps a little salsa.
You'll also love
- Salted Toffee Rugelach 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Sweet Pea Wild Rice Salad 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Ghost Milk 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Smoked Egg Salad Toasts 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Ricotta Crostini with Pickled... 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Hawaiian Beef Curry Stew 3.9/5 (16 Votes)
- Crock Pot Chicken Goulash 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Crab & Avocado Quesadillas 4.3/5 (13 Votes)