Ham Glaze with Root Beer New Orleans Style
This ham glaze recipe is from Tom Fitzmorris, noted New Orleans food critic and pretty darn good chef. If you can't find Barq's Root Beer, get the best root beer you can find, do not skimp here.
- 1 (4 pound) cured smoked ham
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 24 ounces barq root beer (two cans)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tabasco caribbean style steak sauce
- 6 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 orange, juice and zest of
- 1/2 lemon, rind of
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 135mins
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place the ham in a broiling pan and cut shallow gashes in a criss-cross pattern across the top half.
Combine the brown sugar and the dry mustard and pat it all over the ham.
Put the ham in the oven.
Combine all the other ingredients in a saucepan.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower to a simmer, and cook until the liquid volume is reduced to about one cup and then strain.
Spoon some of the glaze over the top of the ham. Spoon more glaze, at 15-minute intervals, until it is all gone.
Continue baking until the ham reaches an internal temperature of 160°F on a meat thermometer.
Remove from oven and allow to rest for about one hour before carving.
You'll also love
- Slow-Cooker Ham 4.4/5 (132 Votes)
- Spicy Chinese Beef 4.5/5 (113 Votes)
- Applewood Smoked Turkey Breast... 4.6/5 (25 Votes)
- Strawberries & Cream Popcorn 4.4/5 (41 Votes)
- Mexican Cinnamon Sugar Cookies 3.9/5 (129 Votes)
- DOG - Chicken Jerky Treats 4.2/5 (52 Votes)
- Irish Pancake Shot 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Tomato/Tomato Paste Salsa 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Matilda's Chocolate Cake 4/5 (55 Votes)
- Tuna Pad Thai 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Eggnog Jello Shots 4.1/5 (41 Votes)
- Tartine Lemon Meringue Cake 4.2/5 (38 Votes)
- Cucumbers In Milk 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Fried Zucchini Batter 4.1/5 (63 Votes)
- Beef or Venison Jerky 3.9/5 (46 Votes)
- Mamaw's Chicken and Rice Casserole 3.8/5 (61 Votes)
- Cilantro Chili Chicken Skewers 4.2/5 (26 Votes)
- Slow Cooked Lamb Shoulder 4/5 (27 Votes)
- Columbian Hot Chocolate with Cheese 3.8/5 (81 Votes)
- Salted Caramel Cheesecake Bars 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Easy Country Pork Pâté with... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Baked Steak with Onions and... 4.1/5 (34 Votes)
- Sauteed Shrimp With Coconut Oil 3.9/5 (15 Votes)
- Dr. Sanjay Gupta's Calming Creamy... 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Chunky Pumpkin Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Vanden Brink Ham Balls 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Ham Balls - Meat From Fareway... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)