Szechuan Beef with Broccoli
This recipe for Szechuan Beef with Broccoli is very easy to make and is delicious over white rice.
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil (or vegetable/canola oil)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup broccoli florets, must be fresh to stir fry and not get soggy
- 4 ounces thin sliced stir fry beef
- 1 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- Pinch sesame seeds (option, for garnish)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Make the Szechuan sauce by combining the chili paste, red pepper flakes, soy sauce, brown sugar, rice vinegar and sesame oil in a bowl (if you like a thick gooey sauce, add 1 teaspoon of corn starch to this mixture (mixed well with whisk!), it will thicken upon cooking). Set aside for later use.
Wash fresh broccoli, break into pieces, and mince garlic clove.
Slice thin stir fry beef into strips (I usually slice each piece in half) and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over high heat. When the oil looks wavy but is not smoking (turn it down if it begins to smoke), toss in the chopped garlic and ground ginger. Stir and cook (“stir fry”) for about one minute. Add the beef slices and stir fry until they are cooked through and no more pink juices are coming out (about 5 minutes).
Remove the beef to a plate and add the broccoli florets. Stir fry the broccoli florets until they are slightly tender (about five minutes). The fat and juices from the beef will begin to brown on the bottom of the pan during this step. When the sauce is added next, it will deglaze the pan and bring up all of the flavor from the caramelized juices on the bottom of the pan. Return the beef strips to the pan with the broccoli florets and add the Szechuan sauce. Continue to stir and cook until most of the moisture has evaporated from the sauce (about 1-2 minutes).
Serve over a bed of hot rice! (Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onions if desired).
You'll also love
- Three Cheese Bacon Dip 4.5/5 (44 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork 4.5/5 (44 Votes)
- Popcorn Chicken & Honey Dill Sauce 4.5/5 (44 Votes)
- Easy Buffalo Chicken & Potato Bake 4.9/5 (17 Votes)
- Collard & Mustard Greens with Bacon 4.1/5 (83 Votes)
- Makeover Grandma's Strawberry Pie 4.7/5 (35 Votes)
- Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole 4.7/5 (35 Votes)
- Andouille Cajun Potatoes 4.3/5 (62 Votes)