Apple Cake with Vanilla Sauce
This cake is deliciously spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and apples, making a delicious combination when paired with vanilla sauce.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 4 large apples, cored and grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional- I leave them out)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch salt
Adapted from bestyummyrecipes.com
Cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs one at time. Add grated apples. Sift together flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add in half of flour mixture stir in until incorporated, add second half and still until just mixed. Stir in the flour by hand to avoid over-mixing.
Pour into a greased 9 x 13" baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Less time for convection oven.
Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Combine sugar and cornstarch, blend well. Add sugar and cornstarch mixture to boiling water; reduce heat to medium, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened. Remove from heat and add the butter, vanilla, and salt, stirring until butter is melted.
Spoon over dessert Enjoy!
You'll also love
- Zucchini Ribbon Primavera 4.8/5 (12 Votes)
- Cucumber Subs 4.4/5 (40 Votes)
- Shrimp and Avocado Salad 4.8/5 (12 Votes)
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup 4.8/5 (12 Votes)
- BANANA PUDDING FROM SCRATCH 4.5/5 (32 Votes)
- Vanilla Bean Fudge 4.8/5 (12 Votes)
- Mexican Stuffed Shells 4.4/5 (42 Votes)
- Strawberry Lemonade Cookies 4.5/5 (32 Votes)