Summer Watermelon Salad with Crispy Bacon, Feta, Basil & Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
Recipe by Chef Michael Fiorelli from mar’sel at Terranea Resort in Rancho Palos Verdes
- 1 medium seedless watermelon, peeled and diced (about 8 cups)
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 12 bacon strips, small diced
- 1 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted and lightly salted or hulled sunflower seeds
- 1 small bunch basil, leaves picked and roughly torn
- 3 ounces rice wine vinegar
- 1 ounce extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon finely cracked black pepper
Adapted from menshealth.com
After dicing the watermelon, place the cubes a colander over a large bowl and set in the refrigerator to drain while preparing the rest of the salad.
In a large pan, slowly render the diced bacon until crispy. Discard bacon fat and set bacon aside on a paper towel to cool.
When ready to serve toss the watermelon with the salt, pepper, oil, and vinegar and allow to marinate for 10 minutes. Pull the watermelon out of the oil and vinegar marinade leaving the excess liquid behind. Transfer to a 9 x 9 casserole dish or a large shallow bowl. Top with torn basil, toasted pumpkin seeds, feta and bacon.
You'll also love
- Lovely Olive Penguins 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Baked Apple French Toast 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Lemon Custard Cake 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Good Eats Roasted Turkey 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Baked Margarita Spaghetti Squash 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Sweet Potato-Topped Turkey Pot Pie 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Fresh Corn & Zucchini Cakes 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Roble Ali's Hawaiian Pork... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)