Black Bean Cakes with Avocado-Corn Salsa
- Black Bean Cakes:
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 4 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning mix
- 2 (15-oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 cups (6-oz) shredded pepper Jack cheese, divided
- 6 tostada shells
- 1/2 cup (2-oz) shredded Cheddar cheese
- Avocado-Corn Salsa:
- 1 tbsp lime zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp dried crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and pepper
To prepare black bean cakes, saute onion in 1 tbsp hot oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat 4 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic. Remove from heat.
Mash together taco seasoning and 2 cups black beans in a large bowl with a fork. Stir in panko, next 2 ingredients, onion mixture, 1 cup pepper Jack cheese and remaining black beans until well blended. Shape mixture into 6 (1/2-inch) patties.
Cook patties in remaining 3 tbsp hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 4 to 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tostadas on a 15-x10-inch jelly-roll pan; top with Cheddar and remaining pepper Jack cheese. Bake until cheese melts. Top with black bean cakes and salsa.
To prepare avocado-corn salsa, whisk together lime zest, lime juice, oil, mustard and dried crushed red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Stir in corn kernels, grape tomatoes, avocado, red onion, basil, and cilantro. Add salt and pepper.
You'll also love
- Roasted Zucchini Flatbread with... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Shrimp Scampi without Wine 3.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Quinoa Lentil Pilaf 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Hoisin-Glazed Halibut With Bok... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Breakfast Banana 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Chicken Corn Chowder #2 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Coconut Flour 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Paleo Acorn Cakelets 4.4/5 (7 Votes)