I looked through a lot of blueberry-oat cookie recipes before choosing this one and I’m glad I did. The cinnamon plus the “all brown sugar” makes these extra flavorful — like eating a blueberry cobbler in cookie form…..or maybe blueberry crisp? But the cookies themselves aren’t crisp. They’re soft and chewy and juicy from the burst-open blueberries and much better than any of I’ve made with dried.
For the blueberries, I used fresh ones which I’d frozen the day before. Freezing the fresh blueberries makes the cookies a lot less likely to turn blue, as does tossing the berries in flour and keeping them frozen until the last minute.
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour or all purpose
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats (not instant)
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen.
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
Remove 1 teaspoon of flour from the 1 cup measure and set aside. Mix the remaining flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder together in a bowl; set aside.
Beat the butter and brown sugar using high speed of an electric mixer until creamy.
Beat in the vanilla, then add the egg and beat just until incorporated.
Gradually add the flour mixture to batter, stirring just until absorbed. Then stir in oats and nuts.
Toss the frozen blueberries in the reserved teaspoon of flour and stir in the blueberries.
Carefully shape into balls (mine were a little over an inch) and space about 2 ½ inches apart on the parchment lined cookie sheets.
Bake at 350°F for 12 to 15 minutes (check at 10). Let cool on cookie sheets for about 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
You'll also love
- Apple Cranberry Pot Roast 4.9/5 (7 Votes)
- Coconut Rice with Sweet Chili Sauce 4.9/5 (7 Votes)
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake from... 4.3/5 (58 Votes)
- Pistachio Kiss Cookies 4.6/5 (30 Votes)
- Chocolate Hug Cookies 4.2/5 (63 Votes)
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cake/Muffins 4.3/5 (43 Votes)
- Lemon Blueberry Sour Cream Crumb... 4.6/5 (26 Votes)
- Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake 4.6/5 (26 Votes)