Roasting cherry tomatoes with sweet onion, white wine and herbs takes only 15 minutes for a perfect tomato compote side dish. It's delicious as a side dish to any kind of grilled chicken, fish or even pork. Added to Angel Hair Pasta, and you have a delicious and healthy side dish in 20 minutes or less. The color is beautiful, too!
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes (mix orange or yellow pear tomatoes for more color)
- 1 small vidalia onion (yellow or white is fine, too)
- 1/4 cup white wine (I use Sauvignon Blanc)
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 2 to 3 springs thyme (about 3 to 4" long)
- Kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese as a garnish (optional)
- Olive oil (about 1 to 2 tablespoons)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Preheat oven to 375°F.
You will need an ovenproof skillet
On medium heat, coat the skillet with a thin layer of olive oil.
Add the onions and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook for about one minute, being careful not to let it burn. Turn off the heat.
Add the thyme and season, to taste, with kosher salt & fresh cracked pepper.
Add the tomatoes.
Add the white wine. If not using white wine, drizzle with a little extra olive oil.
Place the skillet in the oven, and roast until the tomato skins "pop"-- about 10-15 minutes.
Remove from the oven.
NOTE: You can cook this entirely on a stovetop, but I think that roasting gives the tomatoes an even sweeter flavor.
If desired, you can even add a little balsamic vinegar.
Serve as a side dish, or blend with cooked angel hair pasta.
Garnish with fresh Parmesan or Romano cheese, if desired.
You'll also love
- Peach Chutney 4.3/5 (12 Votes)
- Roasted Brussels’ Sprouts with... 4.1/5 (35 Votes)
- Nutella Rice Krispie Treats 4.1/5 (20 Votes)
- Crispy Sea Salt & Vinegar... 4.2/5 (26 Votes)
- Corn, Tomato & Mozzarella Salad 4.2/5 (19 Votes)
- Fried Green Tomatoes with... 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Golden Summer Squash & Corn Soup 4.4/5 (18 Votes)