Italian Christmas Turkey Stuffing
“We never had stuffing without sausage, and my mom’s Italian stuffing is my favorite. I rarely buy the sausage and make my own instead, like my relatives do.” —Elsie Laurenzo Palmer, Saratoga Springs, NY
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 to 3 cups hot water
- 1 turkey (16 pounds)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 265mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add the sausage, celery and onion; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the stuffing cubes, egg substitute and enough water to reach desired moistness.
Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; cover and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up in a roasting pan. Rub with salt and pepper.
Bake, uncovered, at 325°F for 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180° for turkey and 165° for stuffing, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 25-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°F. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy.
Yield: 16 servings (12 cups stuffing).
You'll also love
- Zucchini Hush Puppies 4/5 (6 Votes)
- SWEET POTATO PIE 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Sausage-Stuffed Mushrooms 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Roasted Red Onions & Delicata... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Auntie Sikki's Samoan corn beef... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Meat Loaf (Turkey and Pork) 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Fluffy Carrot Muffins with Cream... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Paleo Pad Thai with Sunshine Sauce 4.6/5 (5 Votes)