Split Pea Soup
It's easy to make hearty split pea soup from scratch. This recipe starts with a big 'ole ham bone to give it lots of flavor. You can add diced potatoes to make it even heartier.
- 1 meaty ham bone
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound package of split peas
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 celery ribs, sliced, leaves included
- 6 to 7 carrots, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 medium potatoes, diced (optional)
- 3 Roma tomatoes, diced
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 120mins
In large pot, put ham bone, butter, water, chicken broth & onion; simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
Add split peas and cook another 30 minutes stirring occasionally so peas don't stick to bottom of pot.
Add bay leaf, celery, carrots, ham, (potatoes if desired) parsley, rosemary & thyme cooking to desired consistency, about another 30 minutes, stirring often.
Salt & pepper to taste.
Serve in soup bowls, scatter chopped tomatoes on top.
You'll also love
- Snowy Lemon Bars 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Patty’s Au Gratin Potatoes 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Camotes Enmielado - Candied Sweet... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Old-Fashioned Beef Stew 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken, Bacon, and Rice... 4.2/5 (21 Votes)
- Cuban-Style Black Beans and Rice... 4.3/5 (22 Votes)
- Lima Bean and Dumpling Soup 3.9/5 (37 Votes)
- Christmas Pea Soup 4.3/5 (7 Votes)