Paleo Jerk Chicken Pineapple Bowl
- For the Bowl
- fat, for the pan (butter or olive oil or coconut oil would work best)
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into bite-size chunks
- 2 bell peppers (any color), sliced into strips
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite-size strips
- For the Jerk Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (+ 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper for extra heat)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper, to taste
- juice of 1 lime
Adapted from health-bent.com
In a bowl or zip-top bag, combine the chicken with about 7/8 of the jerk seasoning and toss/shake to combine. Set aside to let the chicken marinate and come to room temperature. Meanwhile, we’ll make the veg…
In a large saute pan, heat a few tablespoons of fat over medium heat. Add in the onion and pineapple, plus the last little bit of the jerk seasoning you spared from the chicken. Occasionally stirring things around until the onions look soft and pineapple has started to develop a caramalized color. Add in the bell pepper strips and let them cook for a bit; not too long, as they’ll get mushy. Once all the roughage is cooked, remove from the pan and place in your serving dish.
Add a few more tablespoons of fat to the pan, and crank up the heat to medium-high. Plop in the chicken. Don’t touch it or move it around, we want to develop a nice brown crust on the outside of the chicken. Once that’s happened, then, you’re allowed to flip it over to cook on the other side.
Add the chicken to the onions, peppers and pineapple. Stir to combine.