Paleo Chicken Tacos
Good for you and great tasting Paleo friendly Chicken Tacos!
- 6 dried guajillo chiles
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 heads of Boston Bibb lettuce
- Chicken broth or water (enough to cover chicken below)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast or tenders.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, sunflower oil, or lard
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 Large onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 tomatoes, cored and quartered
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin seed
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 Large avocado, seeded, peeled, and cubed
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Lime wedges for serving
Seed and stem the chiles and soak them in the vinegar. Separate the leaves of the lettuce and remove the tough white core from the inner leaves. Wash the leaves, spin them dry, and set them aside.
Pour the stock or water into a pot and bring it to a boil. Add the chicken, wait for the stock to return to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Poach the chicken just until cooked through. Reserve the cooking stock and allow the chicken to cool until it can be shredded by hand. Pull the chicken apart into small shreds (see photo) and place it in a large bowl.
Heat the oil over medium heat in large pan or skillet. Add the garlic and onion and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, or until soft. Drain the chiles and add them to the skillet with the tomatoes. Cook until the tomatoes release their juices and the chiles have become soft, about 7 minutes. Add the cumin and season with salt (if using) and pepper.
Carefully transfer the vegetables to a blender and blend until smooth. Add just enough of your reserved stock to make the mixture smooth and creamy but not watery.
Pour just enough of the sauce (probably half to three-fourths) onto the chicken to create a pasty taco filling. You can freeze the remaining sauce for your next taco night. Spoon two heaping tablespoons of filling into each lettuce shell. Top with grape tomato, avocado, a squeeze of lime, and a few drops of hot sauce.
You'll also love
- Country Club Chicken 4.8/5 (22 Votes)
- Spicy Szechuan Chicken with Noodles 4.4/5 (50 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup 4.7/5 (30 Votes)
- Spicy Chicken Thighs with Sweet &... 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Rachael Ray's Buffalo Chicken Pizza 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Loaded Potato & Buffalo Chicken... 4.6/5 (40 Votes)
- Crunchy Fish Tacos 4.6/5 (38 Votes)
- Crockpot Mexican Shredded Chicken 4.3/5 (54 Votes)