Pressure Cooker White Chicken Chili
This recipe is inspired by the White Chicken Chili served by the Blue Owl Bakery in Kimmswick, MO. My version uses an electric pressure cooker / soup pot to cook previously soaked, dried beans and the chicken at the same time.
- 2 cups dried great northern beans (picked, rinsed and soaked 4 hours to overnight)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 5 cloves garlic – minced
- 3 (4 oz) cans of mild, chopped green chilies
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Mrs Dash Chipotle pepper seasoning
- 1 to 2 tsp sea salt
- 6 cups water
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- 4 cups grated monterey jack cheese
Drain previously soaked beans. Set aside.
Heat olive oil in stock pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft and translucent. Add garlic and saute until fragrant (do not burn) approx. 1 minute.
Reduce heat to low and add chilies, cumin, oregano, and seasoning and stir to combine.
If using a pressure cooker with a saute function, this can all be done in one pot. Otherwise, use a separate pan the saute the vegetables and seasonings. Then transfer mixture to pressure cooker using some of the water to deglaze to pan.
Add drained beans and water. Stir to combine. Place the chicken breasts in a layer on top, keeping the beans submerged.
Set timer on pressure cooker to 20 minutes. Allow the pressure to subside gradually before opening the cooker.
Carefully, use tongs to remove the cooked chicken breasts. Make sure you haven't left any bones or skin behind in the pot. Let chicken cool for easier handling. Remove and discard skin and bones. Chop chicken into large cubes. You should have at least 4 cups of chopped chicken. Any extra chicken may be used in another dish.
Set cooker to sup pot mode. Add chicken and heat through. Reduce heat to low and add cheese. Stir until cheese melts.
You'll also love
- Donna Giblin's Artichoke Chicken 3.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Southwest Chicken and Rice Bake 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- El Pollo Loco Flame Broiled... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup 4/5 (2 Votes)
- 5-Ingredient Chicken Burritos 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Chicken Pot Pie with Homemade Crust 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Hunter Beans 3.9/5 (7 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Chicken and... 4.3/5 (4 Votes)