Japanese Pork and Ramen Soup
A great ramen soup starts with a great broth. This slow cooker broth has onions, garlic and ginger, then finished with miso, soy sauce, mirin and sesame oil.
- 2 onions, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced thin
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless country-style pork ribs, trimmed
- Salt and pepper
- 2 (3-ounce) packages ramen noodles, packets discarded
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons white miso, plus extra for serving
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce, plus extra for serving
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 scallions, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 340mins
Adapted from thomcooks.com
Microwave onions, garlic, ginger, and oil in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
Stir broth and shiitake mushrooms into slow cooker. Season pork with salt and pepper and nestle into slow cooker. Cover and cook until pork is tender, 6 to 8 hours on low or 5 to 7 hours on high.
Transfer pork to cutting board, let cool slightly, then shred into bite-size pieces. Let soup settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon. Stir in noodles and spinach, cover, and cook on high until noodles are tender, 3 to 8 minutes.
Stir in shredded pork, miso, soy sauce, mirin and sesame oil. Let sit until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with additional miso and additional soy sauce to taste. Serve with scallions and sesame seeds for garnish.
You'll also love
- Peach & Walnut Oatmeal Pancakes... 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Lemon Curd Custard Ice Cream 4.5/5 (17 Votes)
- Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting 4.4/5 (29 Votes)
- Easy Creamy Chicken Ramen 4.4/5 (29 Votes)
- Crispy Butternut Squash Spinach... 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Breakfast Pork Chops 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Instant Pot Chicken & Noodles 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Savory Spanish Potato Salad 4.7/5 (6 Votes)