Cheezy Butternut Squash Macaroni
This easy recipe for 2 comes from my latest book, Vegan Slow cooking for Two (http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Slow-Cooking-Two-Just/dp/1592335632). The photo is by Kate Lewis (kk-lewis.com)
- FOR THE MORNING INGREDIENTS:
- 1 1/2 cups (210 g) cubed butternut squash or other winter squash
- 1/2 cup (90 g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups (355 ml) water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Three 3-inch (7.5 cm) sprigs fresh thyme or 1 1/2 teaspoons (1.5 g) dried thyme
- One 2-inch (5 cm) sprig fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- FOR THE EVENING INGREDIENTS:
- 1/4 cup (24 g) nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 to 1 cup (120 to 235 ml) unsweetened nondairy milk
- 1 1/2 cups (158 g) uncooked whole-wheat macaroni (*use gluten-free)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 480mins
Adapted from quarryspoon.com
** Please note - this recipes uses a 1 1/2 to 2 quart slow cooker **
In the morning: Add the morning ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
Thirty to 45 minutes before serving: Purée the contents of the slow cooker in a blender with the nutritional yeast and ½ cup (120 ml) of the nondairy milk. Add the mixture back into the slow cooker and turn it up to high. Stir in the macaroni, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
Stir well and add more milk if the sauce is getting too thick. Cook for 15 to 25 minutes more or until the pasta is al dente. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Make sure to check on the pasta every 10 minutes or so until you get good at gauging how fast it will cook in your slow cooker. It cooks faster in the smaller slow cooker.
YIELD: about 5 cups (700 g)
PER 1-CUP (140 G) SERVING: 168.2 calories; 1.1 g total fat; 0.1 g saturated fat; 6.9 g protein; 33.7 g carbohydrate; 5.9 g dietary fiber; 0 mg cholesterol
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 7½ to 9¾ hours
Make this dish even healthier by adding in some chopped greens or fresh broccoli. You can’t have too much of this good thing.
You'll also love
- Pain d’Épices à l’orange:... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- French Carrot Salad 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Asian Garden Pasta Salad 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Casserole 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Shrimp Boil Macaroni Salad 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Penne and Green Beans with... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Chicken & Mushroom Alfredo... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Butternut Squash, Spinach &... 5/5 (1 Votes)