Shrimp Boil Macaroni Salad
Recipe Source: Better Homes and Gardens - August 2013
Note: Simmering the shrimp shells in the cooking liquid adds an extra layer of flavor.
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni
- 1 lb. medium shrimp
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 qt. reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 4 ears of corn, halved crosswise
- 8 oz. small red potatoes halved lengthwise and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 8 oz. cooked Andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tsp. lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh thyme
1. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and rinse well under cold water; set aside.
2. Peel and devein shrimp, reserving the shells. In the center of a 15x15-inch square of double-thickness cheesecloth, combine shrimp shells, bay leaf, and 2 sprigs fresh thyme. Bring up cheesecloth sides; tie with clean kitchen string. In a t-qt. Dutch oven combine broth, onion, 2 Tbsp. lemon juice, 2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning, and cheesecloth bag. Bring to a simmer.
3. Add shrimp to Dutch oven. Simmer 1 minute or until shrimp is opaque; remove with slotted spoon. Add corn to Dutch oven. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes, rearranging corn once. Remove corn and set aside to cool. Add potatoes and sausage to Dutch oven. Simmer, covered, about 8 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid. Discard spice bag. When corn is cool enough to handle, cut kernels from cobs.
4. For dressing, in a blender combine reserved 1/2 cup cooking liquid, 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning, lemon peel, and 1/4 cup lemon juice. With blender running, slowly add oil.
5. In a large bowl combine macaroni, corn kernels, shrimp, potatoes, and sausage. Add dressing and 1 Tablespoon thyme; toss gently to combine. Serve at once or cover and chill up to 24 hours. Sprinkle with additional fresh thyme and Old Bay seasoning, and serve with lemon wedges.
You'll also love
- Penne and Green Beans with... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Salbury deer steak with mushroom... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Light Bachamel Pasta 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Linguine and White Clam Sauce***** 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Shrimp Cocktail Veracruz-Style 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Black Bean Soup with Lime... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- 2016 Ham and Macaroni au Gratin 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Stovetop Shrimp Boil 4.3/5 (6 Votes)