Old-Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
Classic coconut cream pie with a smooth rich custard topped with toasted shredded coconut. If you're a fan of coconut you have to give this recipe a go, it's delicious!
- COCONUT CREAM:
- 1 can coconut milk
- Half-and-half or heavy cream (enough to add to the coconut milk to make 3 cups)
- 3 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 recipe graham cracker crust (recipe below) or traditional pie crust
- Fresh whipped cream, lightly sweetened
- GRAHAM CRACKER CRUST:
- 12 whole rectangular graham crackers
- 1 stick butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 3 tablespoons sugar
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from melskitchencafe.com
In a medium saucepan, combine half and half, coconut milk, egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-low heat, stirring constantly. Mixture will become very thick. Remove from heat, and stir in coconut extract and the vanilla extract (at this point you can also stir in 3/4 cup of the toasted coconut, although, I prefer to use it all to garnish the top of the pie). Pour the custard into the baked and cooled pie shell and chill 2 to 4 hours or until firm. Top with whipped cream and the toasted coconut.
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Finely crush graham crackers in a food processor or in a Zip-loc bag with a rolling pin. Pour crumbs into a bowl and add sugar, stirring to combine. Drizzle butter over the top and mix with a fork until the crumbs are evenly moistened. Press the crumbs evenly in the bottom and up the sides of a 9- or 10-inch pie plate. Bake for 13 to 15 minutes until the crust is just barely beginning to brown. Remove from oven and cool completely before filling.
*To toast coconut, spread coconut on rimmed baking sheet in an even layer and bake at 325°F, tossing often, until lightly toasted, about 12 to 15 minutes.
You'll also love
- Texas Roadhouse Restaurant... 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Vanilla Cupcakes with Whipped... 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Roasted Red Potatoes with Bacon &... 4.5/5 (38 Votes)
- Favorite Dutch Apple Pie Recipe 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Steak Sandwich 4.5/5 (37 Votes)
- Devil's Food Pound Cake 3.8/5 (116 Votes)
- Toasted Coconut Pound Cake 4.5/5 (43 Votes)
- Raspberry Lemon Coconut Cake 4.2/5 (62 Votes)