Grilled Shrimp Salad with Feta, Tomato, and Watermelonon
Ripe, in-season ingredients are the key to this summery main-course salad, so use the best tomatoes and watermelon you can find.by Dina Cheney
from Fine Cooking
- 1-1/2 lb. raw extra-jumbo shrimp (16 to 20 per lb.), peeled (leave tail segment intact) and deveined
- 1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp. smoked sweet paprika
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tsp. honey
- Vegetable oil, for the grill
- 1/2 medium head frisée, torn into bite-size pieces (4 cups)
- 3 cups small-diced seedless watermelon (about 1 lb.)
- 3 medium ripe red or yellow tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 cups yellow cherry or pear tomatoes, halved
- 6 oz. feta, cut into small dice (1-1/4 cups)
- 30 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
Adapted from finecooking.com
Prepare a hot gas or charcoal grill fire.
In a medium bowl, toss the shrimp with 2 Tbs. of the lemon juice and the paprika; marinate at room temperature for 5 minutes. Thread the shrimp onto metal skewers or wooden skewers that have been soaked in water for at least 30 minutes. Season the shrimp on both sides with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup lemon juice with the olive oil, honey, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Whisk well.
Clean and oil the grill grates. Grill the shrimp, flipping once, until firm and opaque throughout, 4 to 6 minutes total.
In a large bowl, gently toss the frisée with 3 Tbs. of the dressing. In a medium bowl, gently toss the watermelon, tomatoes, feta, basil, 2 Tbs. dressing, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Divide the frisée among 4 plates and spoon one-quarter of the watermelon mixture over each. Top with the shrimp skewers, drizzle with the remaining dressing, and serve.
A colorful dinner salad calls for a colorful dessert; try Mixed Berries with Vanilla Bean Syrup.
nutrition information (per serving):
Calories (kcal): 430; Fat (g): 24; Fat Calories (kcal): 220; Saturated Fat (g): 9; Protein (g): 36; Monounsaturated Fat (g): 12; Carbohydrates (g): 20; Polyunsaturated Fat (g): 2.5; Sodium (mg): 990; Cholesterol (mg): 290; Fiber (g): 3;
Photo: Scott Phillips
You'll also love
- Baked Crab Rangoon (Easy) 5/5 (3 Votes)
- "Cali Style" Avocado Salad 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Baked Potato Wedges 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Cucumber, Basil & Lime Gimlet 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Grilled Pimiento Cheese and Fried... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Flat Belly- Halibut Kebabs... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Marinated Cucumbers, Onions, and... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Angel Hair Pasta w/Shrimp and... 5/5 (3 Votes)