Sausage & Herb Stuffing
Sausage herb stuffing with apples and cranberries is the perfect stuffing for the bird on Thanksgiving. A little sweetness and savoriness complements the turkey.
- 16 cups 1-inch bread cubes, white or sourdough, about 1 1/2 pound loaf
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 stick
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced, about 2 onions
- 1 cup medium-diced celery, about 2 stalks
- 2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, cored and large-diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound sweet or spicy Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup dried cranberries
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Preheat the oven to 300°F.
Place the bread cubes in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake for 7 minutes. Raise the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Remove the bread cubes to a very large bowl.
Meanwhile, in a large saute pan, melt the butter and add the onions, celery, apples, parsley, salt and pepper. Saute over medium heat for 10 minutes, until the vegetables are softened. Add to the bread cubes.
In the same saute pan, cook the sausage over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until browned and cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a fork while cooking. Add to the bread cubes and vegetables.
Add the chicken stock and cranberries to the mixture, mix well, and pour into a 9 by 12-inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes, until browned on top and hot in the middle. Serve warm.
May need more broth
Can use rustic or rosemary bread
Can use breakfast (Jimmy Dean) sausage instead of Italian.
You'll also love
- Double Coconut and Peanut Butter... 4.4/5 (31 Votes)
- Crab Rangoon 4.2/5 (29 Votes)
- Grape Martini 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Turkey Meatloaf with Ketchup-Brown... 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Beef Hunter Style Grillades 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Eggplant Parmesan Fries 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Holiday Cream Cheese Coffee Cake 4.5/5 (15 Votes)