Mini Chorizo Corn Dogs
Add some flavor to your mini corn dogs with some chorizo, great for an appetizer!
- Cooking spray
- 3 fully cooked chorizo sausages, about 12 ounces
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Preheat the oven to 375˚ F and coat a 24-cup mini muffin pan with cooking spray. Slice the chorizo into 24 rounds, about 1/2 inch thick.
Heat the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chorizo and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
Meanwhile, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, the baking powder, baking soda and cayenne in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg and buttermilk, then whisk into the cornmeal mixture along with the scallions until smooth. (It should be the consistency of pancake batter.)
Pour the batter into the prepared muffin pan, filling each cup about halfway. Place a piece of chorizo in the center of each cup. Bake until golden and cooked through, about 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes, then remove from the pan.
You'll also love
- Raspberry Lime Sangria 4.6/5 (16 Votes)
- Ham and Potato Beer Cheese Soup 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Turkey Pumpkin Chili 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Apple Bacon Stuffed Sweet Potatoes 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Sausage Egg Cheese Croissant... 3.9/5 (88 Votes)
- Homemade Cracker Jack® Caramel... 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Scalloped Corn & Broccoli 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Sweet Potato & Chorizo Soup 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
Review this recipe