Amish Strawberry Shortcake
- For the Shortcake:
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- For the topping:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- For the strawberries:
- 4 pounds strawberries, cleaned, hulled and quartered
- 1/2 cup sugar, to taste
Adapted from foodgawker.com
Make crumbs with the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and shortening. Add the milk and egg to the crumbs, mixing just until combined. Spread the mixture into a greased 8x8 cake pan. Set aside.
Make the topping by mixing together the flour, sugar and butter. This mixture will be crumbly. Spread it on top of the batter in the cake pan. Bake the cake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, mix the prepared strawberries with 1/2 cup of sugar. Put the strawberries in the fridge and allow them to refrigerate for at least 3-4 hours. Add more or less sugar, depending on your tastes.
Top pieces of cake with strawberries (or your favorite kind of fruit!), whip cream, or ice cream.
*You can make this recipe in an 8×8 pan. Many times that amount of shortcake is just not enough, so double it and put it in a 9×13 pan. It doesn’t have to bake it any longer. If you decide to double the recipe, leave extra time for a few more minutes baking, just in case. Double the topping…because the topping is the best part!*
You'll also love
- Double Berry Doughnuts 4.6/5 (27 Votes)
- Parmesan Crusted Roasted Asparagus 4.6/5 (27 Votes)
- Apple Custard Pie with Streusel... 4.1/5 (39 Votes)
- Orange Cranberry Scones 4.2/5 (58 Votes)
- Strawberry Cheesecake Popsicles... 4.7/5 (16 Votes)
- Strawberry Shortcake 4.6/5 (23 Votes)
- Caramel-Apple Shortcakes 4.5/5 (29 Votes)