Grill-Roasted Turkey is great way to change up your Thanksgiving turkey. With a touch of citrus flavor from the orange, this will be the star of the meal!
- 1 (12 to 14 pound) turkey, giblets and neck removed, brined, room temperature for 1 hour
- 1 apple, cored, quartered
- 1 orange, quartered
- 1 red onion, peeled, quartered
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Special equipment: A charcoal chimney; 2 cups wood chips, soaked in water for at least 2 hours (optional)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 160mins
Place a large disposable aluminum pan in the bottom of a charcoal grill; add 2 cups water to pan. Fill a charcoal chimney with charcoal; light.
Pat turkey dry with paper towels. Place apple, orange, and onion in cavity. Tie legs with kitchen twine. Rub bird inside and out with butter. Season skin lightly with salt and pepper.
When coals are covered with ash, spread half on either side of disposable pan. Set top grate on grill. Place turkey on grate over pan (do not allow any part of turkey to sit over coals). Cover grill. Insert stem of an instant-read thermometer into hole in hood. Maintain temperature as close as possible to 350°F by opening vents to increase temperature and closing vents to reduce it, lifting grate with turkey to replenish coals as needed using charcoal chimney. If using wood chips, scatter a handful of drained chips over charcoal every 30 minutes.
Cook turkey, rotating every hour for even browning (lift the grate with the turkey on it; rotate grate 180°F), until an instant-read thermometer inserted into thickest part of the thigh without touching bone registers 165°F (juices should run clear when thermometer is removed), about 2 3/4 hours.
Transfer turkey to a platter. Tent with foil and let rest for 1 hour before carving.
You'll also love
- Slow-Cooked Salsa Verde Pork &... 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Falafel with Creamy White Bean... 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Chinese Barbecued Pork 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Easy Easter Hard Boiled Eggs 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Scrambled Eggs, Avocado & Smoked... 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Roast Turkey - America's Test... 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Turkey Chilli (GF/CF... 4.5/5 (10 Votes)
- Spiced Pumpkin Roll with... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)