Fill your sufganiyot with your favorite flavors—preserves, chocolate, hazelnut spread—and enjoy these classic Hanukkah treats! These are also great for any breakfast and brunch spread or they're just great to enjoy with friends and family over coffee and mimosas on a lazy Sunday morning.
- 3 1/4 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 (0.25-ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup fruit preserves, such as raspberry or blueberry or chocolate-hazelnut spread
- cooking oil for deep-fat frying
- sifted powdered sugar to garnish
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from bhg.com
Stir together 1 1/4 cups of the flour, the yeast, and cinnamon; set aside.
In a medium saucepan heat and stir 1 cup water, the granulated sugar, cooking oil, and salt just until warm (120°F to 130°F). Add oil mixture to flour mixture; add egg and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping the sides of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately soft dough that is smooth and elastic (3 to 5 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease the surface of the dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double in size (about 1 hour).
Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide in half. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Roll dough, 1 portion at a time, to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with a floured 2-1/2-inch biscuit cutter, dipping cutter into flour between cuts. Place about 1/2 teaspoon preserves or chocolate-hazelnut spread onto the centers of half of the circles. Lightly moisten edges of circles; top with remaining circles. Press edges together to seal. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Reroll and cut trimmings.
Fry filled doughnuts, 2 or 3 at a time, in deep hot oil (365 degree F) about 1 minute on each side or until golden, turning once with a slotted spoon. Remove from oil; drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Cool on wire racks. Makes 24 servings.
You'll also love
- Everything Baked Potato & Chicken... 4.4/5 (39 Votes)
- Sesame Chicken Pot Stickers 4.5/5 (35 Votes)
- Bacon & Guacamole Deviled Eggs 4/5 (43 Votes)
- Crockpot Ranch Porkchops 4.3/5 (48 Votes)
- HCG Diet Phase 2/3 Strawberry... 4.2/5 (47 Votes)
- Blood-Red Hot Chocolate &... 4.7/5 (19 Votes)
- Strawberry Banana Bread 4.5/5 (31 Votes)
- Mille-Crepe Tiramisu Cake 4/5 (37 Votes)