Creamy Gluten-Free (kind of) Scalloped Potatoes
These didn't set up as I would have liked, I used corn starch instead of flour and even precooked the rice milk and cornstarch. I will try flour next time. These were delicious though. A great way to get vegies into your kids!
- 6 peeled, thinly sliced Yukon gold or russet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cup chopped asparagus
- 1/2 cup chopped pepper (I used red)
- 1/2 bunch (6 or so) green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cubed butter or dairy free butter substitute
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh parsley OR a combination of parsley,
- thyme and savory (Optional)
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups milks or dairy free milk substitute (more if needed to cover potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons salt (I omitted the salt)
- Penzey fox point seasoning to taste
- Natures seasoning to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed cooked gluten-free ham (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F / 176° C
Lightly grease the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking dish. Combine vegetables. Layer 1/3 of the sliced potatoes in the dish, slightly overlapping potatoes. Scatter about 1/3 cup cubed ham over layer (optional), 1/3 of vegie mix. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper (optional) or seasoning of choice, minced herbs (optional) and dot with about 1/3 of the cubed butter. Repeat layers. I did the vegies in only two layers. Sprinkle top layer with cheese and paprika (optional.)
Whisk sweet rice flour with about 1/2 cup milk until smooth and lumps disappear. Add remaining milk and whisk. Pour over potatoes and add more milk if necessary to just cover the top of the potatoes.
Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour or until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork and the top is golden brown. Allow to rest for about 20 minutes before serving.
Reminder: Always make sure your work surfaces, utensils, pans and tools are free of gluten. Always read product labels. Manufacturers can change product formulations without notice. When in doubt, do not buy or use a product before contacting the manufacturer for verification that the product is free of gluten.
You'll also love
- Whole Roasted Cauliflower with... 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Ham Sandwiches with Cranberry... 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Tuna Casserole in Rice Cooker 4.4/5 (30 Votes)
- Artichoke Parmesan Appetizer 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Skillet Cajun Spiced Flounder with... 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Lobster Ravioli with Tomato Cream... 4.2/5 (19 Votes)
- Tomato Sauce for Shellfish 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Potato Soup 4.6/5 (13 Votes)