You don’t need insane amounts of cream to make an insanely creamy, delicious potato soup. Nor do you need a ton of time. This soup is ready to go in about 30 minutes or so, and also makes fantastic leftovers.
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 3 tablespoons bacon grease (reserved) or butter
- 1 cup white or yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk, warmed
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and diced (I recommend Yukon gold potatoes)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly-cracked
- Optional toppings: thinly-sliced green onions or chives, extra shredded cheese, extra bacon, sour cream
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from gimmesomeoven.com
Heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add diced bacon and cook until crispy, stirring occasionally.
Transfer the bacon to a separate plate, using a slotted spoon, reserving about 3 tablespoons of bacon grease in the stockpot. Discard any extra grease, or you can substitute butter in place of the 3 tablespoons of bacon grease. Also, if you are short on time, you can dice the potatoes and onion while the bacon cooks.
Add onion and saute' for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft. Sprinkle the flour on top of the onion and stir until combined. Saute for an additional minute to cook the flour, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the chicken stock until combined. Stir in the milk, potatoes, and cooked bacon bits until combined. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, but is not boiling.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally every few minutes so that the bottom does not burn. The smaller you dice your potatoes, the faster they will cook.
When the potatoes are soft, stir in the cheddar cheese and Greek yogurt (or sour cream), salt and pepper. Taste and see if it needs more salt, pepper or cheese.
Serve warm, garnished with desired toppings.
You'll also love
- RASPBERRY CREAM CHEESE SWEET ROLLS 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- One Pan Balsamic Chicken and... 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Unicorn Poop Cookies 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Spaghetti Squash Pie 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Easy Banana Pudding Parfaits 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Vinegar Braised Chicken & Mushrooms 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Apple & Cinnamon Muffins with a... 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Stuffed Potato Skin Skillet Hash... 4.6/5 (13 Votes)