Bacon & Egg Sandwiches with Caramelized Onions & Arugula
This bacon and egg sandwich with caramelized onions and arugula is sure to impress your family and friends.
Cheryl Alters Jamison & Bill Jamison, Cooking Light
- 4 slices center-cut bacon
- 2 cups onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican hot sauce (such as Cholula) or Tabasco
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Dash sugar
- Cooking spray
- 4 (1/2-ounce) slices whole-wheat bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup arugula
Preparation time 32mins
Cooking time 32mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Cook bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp (about 8 minutes). Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings; drain on paper towels. Add onion, water, and hot sauce to drippings in pan; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in butter and sugar; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Uncover and cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Set aside; keep warm.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Place bread in pan, and cook for 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Set aside, and keep warm.
Recoat pan with cooking spray. Crack eggs into pan, and cook for 2 minutes. Gently turn eggs, one at a time; cook 1 minute or until desired degree of doneness. Sprinkle evenly with salt and black pepper.
Place one bread slice on each of two plates; arrange onion mixture evenly over bread. Place 1 egg, 2 bacon slices, and 1/2 cup arugula over each serving; top with remaining bread slices. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Savory Sweet Potatoes Mashed 4.6/5 (27 Votes)
- Orange Cream Calcium Smoothie 4.6/5 (28 Votes)
- Broccoli Pie 4.6/5 (30 Votes)
- Rustic Beef Short Ribs with... 4.4/5 (42 Votes)
- Cheese Croutons for onion soup 4.4/5 (42 Votes)
- Chocolate Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies 4.4/5 (42 Votes)
- Chicken Florentine Lasagna with... 4.4/5 (54 Votes)
- Chicken Soup in a Pressure Cooker 4.7/5 (22 Votes)