Orange-Pistachio Wild Rice Salad
This salad with wild rice, pistachios has the perfect hint of citrus flavors with a slight tinge sweetness from honey. I enjoy it often as a side or light lunch.
- 2/3 cup brown rice
- 2/3 cup wild rice
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted pistachios, chopped
- 1 orange
- 10 large fresh basil leaves, sliced into ribbons
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Combine the brown rice, wild rice, and broth in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to a slow simmer, and cook until all water is evaporated and the rice is fully cooked, 45 to 55 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely.
Toast the pistachios in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently; cool.
Grate the zest from the orange; measure 1 teaspoon and set aside. Cut the top and bottom off the orange. Stand it on one end and remove the rest of the peel and the woolly white pith by cutting down the orange, following its curve with your knife. then remove each orange segment from the membrane.
When the rice is cool, add the orange sections, the basil, onion, pistachios, and orange zest, and mix to incorporate.
To make the dressing, whisk together the vinegar, oil, orange juice, mustard, honey and salt in a small bowl. Pour over the rice mixture and toss to incorporate. this salad will keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for a day or two.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad 4.2/5 (22 Votes)
- Pineapple Cherry Dump Cake 4.3/5 (19 Votes)
- Pineapple Sunshine Cake 3.9/5 (47 Votes)
- S' Mores Poke Cake 3.9/5 (33 Votes)
- Lemon Coconut Oeey Gooey Bars 3.9/5 (39 Votes)
- Easy Fresh Orange Cupcakes with... 4/5 (42 Votes)
- Snap Pea Salad with Whipped Ricotta 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Slow Cooked Orange Pork Roast... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)