Grains & Fruit Summer Salad
Filled with healthy nutrients, this refreshing summer salad has a generous bounty of fruits and vegetables.
- 1 cup fresh basil, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked grain (quinoa*, wild rice and/or brown rice)
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 4 cups mixed spring greens (torn Bibb lettuce and/or spring mix)
- 2 cups blueberries (9 to 10-ounces)
- 1 cup cantaloupe cubes
- 1 cup yellow cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small zucchini, cut lengthwise in narrow ribbons
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 4 ounces smoked salmon, flaked (optional)
- 1/3 cup fresh herbs, snipped or shredded (dill, basil, and/or mint)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from bhg.com
For basil dressing, in a blender or small food processor combine the 1 cup basil, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed; set aside.
In a medium bowl stir together cooked grains and green onions. Stir in about 2 tablespoons of the basil dressing to coat.
For the salad, line a large bowl with greens. Top greens with grains mixture, blueberries, cantaloupe, tomatoes, zucchini, walnuts, and (if desired) salmon. Drizzle with half the remaining basil dressing; toss gently. Sprinkle with fresh herbs. Pass remaining dressing.
*For 2 cups cooked quinoa, in a fine strainer rinse quinoa under cold running water; drain. In a small saucepan combine water, the quinoa, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Let stand to cool slightly. Drain off remaining liquid. Fluff with a fork.