Make Ahead Turkey Thanksgiving Gravy
With so much to do on Thanksgiving day it's best if possible to make your Turkey Gravy ahead of time, this make ahead recipe is full of flavor, the taste is not sacrificed by prepping ahead.
- 4 turkey wings (about 3 to 4 pounds)
- 2 medium onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup water
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 3 carrots cut in chunks
- 3 stalks celery with leaves, cut in chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 195mins
Heat oven to 400°F. Put wings in a single layer in roasting pan and scatter onions on top. Roast 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until wings are browned.
Put wings and onions in 6-quart pan. Add water to roasting pan; stir to scrape up any brown bits on bottom. Add to saucepan. Add 6 cups broth (refrigerate remaining 2 cups), the carrots, celery, and thyme. Simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours.
Remove wings. When cool, pull off skin and meat. Discard skin; save meat for another use. Strain broth into saucepan; pressing the veggies to extract all their juices. Discard the veggies. Skim fat off the top of the broth with a large kitchen spoon. (I recommend refrigerating overnight so that the fat rises to the top, and can easily be removed as a solid.
Whisk flour into remaining 2 cups broth until mixture is well blended and smooth.
Bring broth in saucepan to a gentle boil. Whisk in flour mixture; boil 5 minutes to thicken gravy and remove floury taste. Stir in butter and pepper.
Plan ahead: Freeze gravy up to 1 month. Reheat. You can add fat-skimmed drippings from a freshly roasted turkey. Refrigerate 2-3 days.
You'll also love
- Drink - Christmas Party 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Halloween Cookie Pops 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Baked Apple Donuts 4.5/5 (14 Votes)
- Thai Quinoa Salad 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- Apple Crisp Ice Cream 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- Fried Cabbage with Sausage 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- Parmesan Pork Roast 4.4/5 (25 Votes)
- Pumpkin Walnut Cheesecake 4.4/5 (25 Votes)